Friday, September 24, 2010

Workshop reflections

In doing this task, we split it up into three parts: I did the day outline, facilitation notes and feedback questionnaire, U did the rationale and S designed our 20 min workshop for the day. We then would pass a draft to each other and workshop it together to produce a final product.

I think the workshop went really quite smoothly on the day. Before we started, I got people up and energised with some yoga, and explained where we were coming from and the point of the day, which seemed to go down really well (the yoga in particular - I need to remember that one for next time!).


Running a workshop

We kept to time, and the group seemed really engaged in both the individual group and class discussions. I was really worried that we were on just before afternoon tea, and that the group would be tired from their long day. However everyone seemed energised and in the end gave us lots of constructive feedback.

(giving instructions, and one of our class groups listening attentively!) 

 I designed a questionnaire to help gather some feedback for the workshop with the questions below:
  1. The workshop activities were clearly outlined and explained
  2. The workshop was presented clearly and comprehensibly
  3. Through this workshop, I gained a greater awareness of sustainable computer design issues
  4. This workshop inspired me to think differently about my next computer purchase
  5. I participated actively in this workshop
The group had to give us a rating out of 5, with 1 being strongly agree and 5 being strongly disagree (the other numbers were the scale in between). There was also an opportunity to comment against each question. We got at least 22 numerical responses on all of the questions, so most of the group gave us feedback, which I think means the questionnaire was easy to use and comprehensible. 

The questionnaire gave us some good qualitative feedback, and we also got some good comments, including that we could have more clearly identified who we were and who was running the workshop which is something I really need to remember - make sure your identity and goals are clear at the outset!

All in all, I would definitely use the mix of ratings and comments again.

One important thing I learnt while watching the other groups do their workshops was how easy it was to loose a group, even one that was actively trying to be engaged and to participate (some of us got together and made a pact to ask questions and speak up, even if we had nothing to say, so none of us would have the horror of a quiet group!!). But one of the groups before us had a similar activity design to ours - group work then class discussion - and they did what we were going to do, which is have a section where each group put their ideas on the board one by one. Our group noticed how this meant the groups at the end of the process got bored and became disengaged really quickly, so we changed ours on the fly so we would jump all over the class to ask for opinions. This seemed to work really well: over 80% of the class agreed/strongly agreed that they participated actively, and that the workshop was well facilitated. So I learned that you can't let any of the group feel bored or shut out of the discussion between facilitator and class - you have to engage them all at once.


(class discussion)


 (the results! everybody's ideas of what a good portable computer should have)

One thing that we did forget to do, which I had tried to keep in mind to ensure we didn't miss it, was to do an acknowledgement of country (I think the Wallumattagal Band of the Eora are the traditional owners of the land around Macquarie University? I'd have to check). Unfortunately, it completely slipped my mind, which is terrible.


Reflections on group work

I'm pretty used to working in teams on policy issues from the public service, so I was interested to see how uni group work would stack up.

Privately, I will admit to some frustration in our early group work. I think I found it slightly difficult as I'm used to working in teams where everyone speaks up and brainstorms, and just wants to get the job done. At our meetings, I’d make a suggestion as to an activity, and both the others would agree wholly with what I've said and move on. This worried me as a) I didn't want them to feel like I'm taking over instead of just making suggestions and b) I think group work is always going to be better if we do it all together. Some of  our group were also a little lax on leaving things to the night before, and not reading instructions in the rush to get things finished.

However, as our group work went on, I found that the others started making more and more suggestions, and thankfully picked up on some areas where our previous plans didn’t make any sense (!). Our assignment was much improved by this input, and I think working together with everyone’s input is a really important aspect of any group or team situation – I know that in my previous work, in the best team projects the whole was ALWAYS more than the sum of its parts!

S in particular did very well on the 20 min workshop and its powerpoint, especially as English is her second language! I certainly couldn't do the same in French!

No comments:

Post a Comment